2. Which of the following states in India is the largest in area?
(b) Uttar Pradesh
(c) West Bengal
(d) Madhya Pradesh
3. A large sized nitrogenous plant based on the gas supplied through Hazira-Bijapur-Jagdishpur pipeline is being set up at
4. Fazilka-Abohar region is noted for
(a) luxurious growth of cotton
(b) prosperous cotton textile industry
(c) cottage and handicrafts industry
(d) None of these
5. In which industry is sal wood used mostly?
(a) Railway sleepers
(d) None of these
6. Which of the following is the principal reason for the concentration of heavy industries in the South Bihar region?
(a) Availability of cheap labour
(b) Availability of capital
(c) Availability of raw materials in the region
(d) Nearness to Calcutta
7. Out of the following, India earns the maximum foreign exchange from the export of
(a) leather goods
(b) engineering goods
(d) electronic goods
8. Kandla, situated on the Gulf of Kachchh, is well known for which of the following?
(a) Cutting and polishing of diamonds
(b) Export processing zone
(c) Centre for marine food products
(d) Traditional art and craft centre
(e) Ship building industry
Ans. (b)9. The main centre of diamond cutting industry in India is
10. The Himalayan region inspite of having raw material for paper and pulp industry could not develop so far. Which of the following is the most important factor for this?
(a) Non-availability of hydroelectric power in the area
(b) Less demand of paper in the market
(c) Non-availability of cheap labour in the area
(d) Poor means of transport in the region
11. As per the latest figures available, out of the total sugar production in India, Maharashtra contributes about
12. Where is the Hindustan Shipyard located?
13. The ‘satellite freight city’ is being developed near which of the following cities?
(e) New Bombay
14. Which of the following states accounts for the largest share of industrial production and capital investment?
(a) West Bengal
15. Consider the following statements:
The Rourkela steel plant obtains
1. hydel power from the Hirakud dam
2. coking coal from Jharia coalfields
3. iron ore from Baba Budon hills
Of these statements, the correct ones are:
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 1 and3
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 1, 2 and 3
16. A group of tourists is interested in visiting some beaches in India. Which of the following groups of cities would you suggest?
A. Calcutta, Bangalore, Baroda
B. Ahmedabad, Ranchi, Hyderabad
C. Bombay, Goa, Madras
(a) Only A
(b) Only B
(c) Only C
(d) Both A and B
(e) Both A and C
17. Which of the following cities is situated on the bank of river Saryu?
18. Railway rolling stock is not manufactured at
19. Of the following cities, which one is situated along the banks of river Sabarmati?
20.Which industry in India was worst affected be cause of the partition?
(a) Paper and Iron
(b) Cotton and Sugar
(c) Jute and Cotton
(d) Engineering and Cement
Ans. (c)21. Which of the following cities is known as ‘Pink City’?
22. Indian Standard Time is the time at which of the following longitudes East of Greenwich?
(c) 82 .5 °
23. Which of the following places is not associated with India’s space programme?
24. Garo and Khasi tribes are mainly found in
(d) Chhota Nagpur
25. In terms of the area of the countries, India ranks in the world.
26. Which is the most urbanized state in India?
(b) Tamil Nadu
27. In addition to the entire Union Territory of Delhi, the National Capital Region covers parts of the states of
(a) Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh
(b) Haryana, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh
(c) Haryana, Rajasthan and Punjab
(d) Haryana, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh
28. ‘Ghotul’, a tribal youth dormitory is found among the
(a) Oraon of Bihar
(b) Bhutia of West Bengal
(c) Garo of North East India
(d) M of Madhya Pradesh
29. Which one of the following organizations is responsible for production of topographical sheets?
(a) Geological survey of India (GSI)
(b) National Atlas and Thematic Mapping Organisation (NATMO)
(c) Indian Meteorological Department (IMD)
(d) Survey of India (501)
30. In terms of area, which of the following is the smallest state in India?
31. India’s oldest planetarium is located at
32. Consider the following satellites put into orbit by India
2. INSAT-1 B
Among these, geostationary satellites include
(a) l, 3 and 4
(b) 1 and 3
(c) 2 and 4
(d) 2, 3 and 4
33. What is SLV-3?
(a) Communication satellite
(b) India’s space launching vehicle
(c) Space launching pad
(d) None of these
34. Which one of the following is the most important reason for the establishment of the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre at Thumba?
(a) The sea is near to the place in the East, West and South directions.
(b) It is a place near to a city in India, which is nearest to the geographic Equator.
(c) It is situated on the Geomagnetic Equator
(d) Outer space near Thumba exhibits queer atmospheric phenomena.
35. The first submarine built by India is
(a) INS Shalki
(b) INS Ganga
(c) INS Godavari
(d) INS Himgiri
36. The satellite Aryabhatta was built at
37. In which of the following regions is ‘Dandakaranya’ located?
(a) Uttar Pradesh and Orissa
(b) Maharashtra, Orissa and M.P.
(c) Nepal and Bihar
(d) Orissa, MR and Andhra Pradesh
38. Onge tribe is mainly settled in which of the following States / Union Territories?
(e) Andaman & Nicobar
39. Which of the following places is not associated with the launching of the space satellites?
(c) Cape Kennedy
40. INSAT – 2B was launched from
41. What is the percentage of geographical area of India in the world area?
42. India- built remote sensing satellite Bhaskara II was put into space with the help of
(a) an intercosmos rocket from a soviet cosmodrome
(b) an SLV-3 rocket from Thumba
(c) an Ariana from French Guiana
(d) None of the above
43. Which one of the following is known as the Pearl City?
44. In which of the following places is India’s second satellite launching station being
45. The highest number of tribal population in Tamil Nadu is
46. Kukis belong to which state?
(d) Arunachal Pradesh
47. Which one of the following pairs is not correct?
(a) Sriharikota – India’s satellite launching centre
(b) Bangalore – India’s space application centre
(c) Thumba – India’s first earth satellite station
(d) SLV-3 – India’s four stage rocket
48. In Mizoram, the settlement pattern is mostly of ‘linear type’ along the ridges because
(a) the ridges are cooler than the valleys
(b) the valleys are densely forested
(c) the valleys are cooler than the ridges
(d) accessibility is easier on the ridge tops
49. The first district in India to have telephones in all its villages is
(a) Dakshina Kannada
50.The city of Surat is situated on the bank of the river